[Lazarus] Unicode branch

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jun 12 14:52:01 CEST 2013

On 06/12/2013 02:39 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Adding -dUNICODE on the fpc commandline is difficult ?
Not at all. A problem would arise, if fpc or Lazarus would define
UNICODE in _a_different_ way than Delphi does, and thus simply doing "
-dUNICODE" would be not allowed or not possible.

> Anything is doable. Doesn't mean we should. In this case: I don't
> think so.
> The scope of the UNICODE define is not "well defined".

I agree. The problem is even deeper.

As I was told by my colleagues the implementation of the
quasi-dynamically coded strings in Delphi is far from perfect (it seems
to be at least decently usable as of XE2).

So I suppose (and hope) fpc and Lazarus will do significant enhancements
to the concept, concerning usability and flexibility (we already
discussed some of them here and in the fpc-dev group). Of course for m<y
colleagues they would need to be fully compatible to Delphi, as they
need to compile their projects on both systems without too much
additional effort. (They claim to be 150 % busy anyway, and the Linux
stuff is added on top of this.)

-Michael