[Lazarus] Unicode branch

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jun 12 14:39:33 CEST 2013

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 06/12/2013 02:18 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> It is bad practice to rely in code on the defines defined by the compiler.
> Of course I do know this (and many more similar portability-paradigms). But
> my colleagues do coding only with Delphi (and thus Windows) in mind. I can't
> help this. But now "suddenly" (since some 5 years) the company wishes to
> support Linux.

The issue exists even if you only code for Delphi.
See the example of component suites.

> I do research on that but I can't force them to to modify their hundred
> thousands of code lines on that behalf (_Again_ after they needed to do this
> because of the move of Delphi to Unicode). If it's to difficult they will
> just say the move towards Linux is impossible.

Adding -dUNICODE on the fpc commandline is difficult ?

Let's be serious.

>> In each case, FPC will not define the same defines as Delphi.
>
> Of course not, but there are instances like this that are rather obvious and
> limited, thus supposedly doable.

Anything is doable. Doesn't mean we should. In this case: I don't think so.
The scope of the UNICODE define is not "well defined".

Michael.