[Lazarus] Unicode branch

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 26 17:59:06 CEST 2013

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 26/06/13 07:19, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>> Because then classes work like COM interfaces. Shudder.
>

> Yeah, that change is going to be a nightmare to lots of existing code. I
> hope Delphi developers enjoy debugging!

I don't see any relationship to COM here. Java has managed objects, C++
has, .NET has, so why not OPL too?

The management overhead is as low as for managed strings. Also a "weak"
keyword has been introduced for unmanaged object references - for people
who don't like reference counting.

I don't like managed (refcounted) class objects for other reasons. In
detail they can easily lead to zombies, which keep each other alive by
circular references. It also is not really possible to remove
destructor/finalizer code in such an environment, so that no or
dangerous comfort is the only result from using such a model.

DoDi