[Lazarus] Contributions by Cyrax and better SVN commit info

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Jun 27 14:57:45 CEST 2013

On 27/06/2013 12:52, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> Vincent Snijders <vincent.snijders at gmail.com> hat am 27. Juni 2013 um 13:30
>> geschrieben:
>>

>>    2013/6/27 Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> >
>>      > > Looking at issue #24662, Cyrax has studied lot's of code for the patch.
>> Cool!
>>>      I was not happy with the data structure, I believe it is better now.
>>>      I removed the generics type TTreeNodeList and replaced it with TList.
>>>      It's only purpose was to prevent type-casts but they are now needed
>>>      anyways.
>>>
>>>      *** Please all developers add the tracker issue number and name of the
>>>      patch author to a commit message when such info exists! ***
> Some years ago I did that, but then we had to change the license and there were
> some strange "copyright" laws in Germany and other countries.
> Basically, if you add a svn comment that a patch was from a person, you grant
> that person the right to veto all license issues and the right to withdraw his
> patch. Some countries have a "fair use" clause that allows to ignore rights for
> small patches.
> Germany does not have a "fair use" clause, in fact, German has no word for
> "fair".
> So it is no problem to add a name to the contributors list, but it can be a
> problem to name someone for a specific patch.

Are you sure this is based on the name being in the commit message?

I know laws like this exist, but I thought it applies to all contributed
code, never mind, if the contribution is documented in some form or
not.  Besides if patches come via mantis, then there also is documentation.

This is way many projects ask contributes to sign some form of agreement.