[Lazarus] One last ask for help

Tommi Prami tommi.prami at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 08:58:34 CET 2013

On 21.3.2013 4:46, "ArĂ­ Ricardo Ody" wrote:
> I wrote an application for WinCE in Lazarus 0.9.30/FPC 2.4.2 some time
> ago. Finally appear a customer interested in the system. It was tested
> in an iPaq equipment during the development stage. Late I tested it with
> a Motorola ES400 handheld when I can test the functions using a barcode
> scanner. Everything were alright. I have the idea that my software were
> ready to sale even if the customer wants to use barcode scanner as data
> entry for some fields in my forms.
>
> Based on this I offer the software for the mentioned customer and tell
> him that it always have to rent(or buy) a handheld with windows mobile 6
> or greater.
>
> He gave me, last friday, an handhelp Intermec with windows mobile 6.1.
> The model was Intermec CK3a1. I installed my software in the equipment
> and it ran ok as expected, since it have a arm processor and windows
> mobile 6 or later. Next step was test the program reading barcodes via
> CK3a1 barcode reader. Then I go to hell. The CK3a1 read the barcode as
> indicated by the sound an the pilot light but nothing appears in the
> correspondent Lazarus edit box. I spent all weekend trying to learn what
> was wrong. Monday, very ashamed I told to the customer that the program
> was not running Ok with Intermec CK3a1. In the monday I tested with
> another Intermec, the CN50 model and the same error occurred. I tried
> with an old HP handheld and an external barcode reader attached in the
> slot of the HP and everything was right. The barcode read was successful.
>
> The customer call the firm that rented the equipment and it offers to
> substitute by a Cipher  CP30. After a long time of tests I discover that
> if I open the "barcode" software(it comes with CP30) and use the barcode
> reader with my program, the barcode was read, but the first character of
> the barcode is left. The rental firm people try lots of combinations of
> configurations in the Cipher CP30. And the problem persists.
>
> This afternoon the customer give me an ultimatum. If the software
> doesn't run with a correct codebar reading they will change to another
> program.
>
> In all cases, if I install a .net(wrote in C#) in the handhelp, the
> barcode is readed and is readed correct.
>
> Well people. I know that you have no duty to help me. But once more I
> ask for help with this problem. I believe in the same dream you believe:
> Write once, compile everywhere. But I still believe that the code
> generated will run as expected.
>
> No one in the Lazarus community can help me? Why I wrote in the mailing
> list, english forum and portuguese forum and nobody answer?
>
> If the ,net application and even the windows mobile application "note"
> read the barcode correct, is them wrong or is there something wrong with
> the way Lazarus and FPC talk with the WinCE(windows mobile 6 or later)
> I/O routines? Will WinCe change?
>
> Here are now 11:33 PM. I have 'till 12 AM tomorrow to tell something to
> [...]

Hello,

I can't help you with task at hand, but my impression of the
WinCE/WindowsMobile PDA:s are that one should avoid them at all cost.

My ex Coworker has been battling with them a lot and he uses C#
(Micro$oft tools!) and he has had huge problems. (I asked him which is
the best WinMob-based PDA and he replied "they all are crappy", and
asked him why he thinks that, he told that there are always some flaky
stuff. that program works for one device and not other and so...)

I have been writing pretty simple app with Lazarus to Windows Mobile PDA
and it has been struggle. From the beginning.

Had to to weird Hacks to get around weird problems. Some might be
Lazarus/FPC related but never know...

Now there has been Rugged Android devices coming up. Have not seen good
one with bar-code reader yet, but hope we have Lazarus-solution for
Android soon, to get that kind of business the tools they need. Windows
mobile based ones are just awful. the OS it self it is so ugly and
difficult to work with that it is the reason it self.

If some one have more knowledge on Android Rugged PDAs and/or ability on
using Lazarus on Android, hope to hear all about it (Saw something on
Lazarus and Android development some time ago, but not lately, so I
don't know the status of it...)

-Tee-