[Lazarus] One last ask for help

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 21 09:49:14 CET 2013

Am 21.03.2013 08:58, schrieb Tommi Prami:
> Hello,
>
> I can't help you with task at hand, but my impression of the
> WinCE/WindowsMobile PDA:s are that one should avoid them at all cost.
>
> My ex Coworker has been battling with them a lot and he uses C#
> (Micro$oft tools!) and he has had huge problems. (I asked him which is
> the best WinMob-based PDA and he replied "they all are crappy", and
> asked him why he thinks that, he told that there are always some flaky
> stuff. that program works for one device and not other and so...)
>
> I have been writing pretty simple app with Lazarus to Windows Mobile
> PDA and it has been struggle. From the beginning.
>
> Had to to weird Hacks to get around weird problems. Some might be
> Lazarus/FPC related but never know...
>
> Now there has been Rugged Android devices coming up. Have not seen
> good one with bar-code reader yet, but hope we have Lazarus-solution
> for Android soon, to get that kind of business the tools they need.
> Windows mobile based ones are just awful. the OS it self it is so ugly
> and difficult to work with that it is the reason it self.
>
> If some one have more knowledge on Android Rugged PDAs and/or ability
> on using Lazarus on Android, hope to hear all about it (Saw something
> on Lazarus and Android development some time ago, but not lately, so I
> don't know the status of it...)

Last week I had the chance to speak to Casio workers on a mobile
conference in Munich. Casio is also producing rugged industrial devices
and they are now only beginning to provide Android based phones. They
told me that they'll be doing a two track approach for the foreseeable
time. Other companies like Motorola Solutions (aka Symbol) don't seem to
want to switch to Android at all.

And also it's not always possible to dictate your customers what devices
they should choose.

Regards,
Sven