[Lazarus] FPC/Lazarus on non-x86 BSD

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 15:22:17 CEST 2014

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 08:38:14AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I'm exploring alternatives to Debian on SPARC. One of the obvious ones
>> is BSD which (I presume) will need some cross-builds to get FPC going.
>
> No, you will need to port FPC to those targets. The BSD rtls are afaik not
> Sparc ready.  (though there is not that much architecture dependent, and
> much can be copied from Linux I guess).
>
>> Can anybody comment on /which/ BSD variant is likely to add fewest
>> problems to my heap?
>
> FreeBSD is generally more advanced, but Netbsd and openbsd are usually more
> non x86 friendly. However that is old sentiment, I don't know the current
> situation.

Thanks, I'm not sure which direction I'm heading since Debian "Wheezy"
on SPARC is badly broken (e.g. FireFox/IceWeasel won't run). I'll be
trying "Sid" next to see if there's any hope at all, after that possibly
revisiting Solaris followed by Gentoo and possibly xBSD.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk