[Lazarus] FPC/Lazarus on non-x86 BSD

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Sat Apr 26 16:14:22 CEST 2014

On Sa, 2014-04-26 at 13:22 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 08:38:14AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> >> I'm exploring alternatives to Debian on SPARC. One of the obvious ones
> >> is BSD which (I presume) will need some cross-builds to get FPC going.
> >
> > No, you will need to port FPC to those targets. The BSD rtls are afaik not
> > Sparc ready.  (though there is not that much architecture dependent, and
> > much can be copied from Linux I guess).
> >
> >> Can anybody comment on /which/ BSD variant is likely to add fewest
> >> problems to my heap?
> >
> > FreeBSD is generally more advanced, but Netbsd and openbsd are usually more
> > non x86 friendly. However that is old sentiment, I don't know the current
> > situation.
>
> Thanks, I'm not sure which direction I'm heading since Debian "Wheezy"
> on SPARC is badly broken (e.g. FireFox/IceWeasel won't run). I'll be
> trying "Sid" next to see if there's any hope at all, after that possibly
> revisiting Solaris followed by Gentoo and possibly xBSD.

I'm using FPC & Lazarus on FreeBSD, too. It's nice to have a precompiled
binary for FPC and Laz at hand if something won't work. I can't speak
for SPARC though, but you can look there:

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

Maybe other BSDs have better support (Tier 1 in FreeBSD terms).

Lastly you need to get the compiler working on your OS/CPU-combination,
as Marco mentioned ...

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>