[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Tue Feb 4 16:02:26 CET 2014

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:19:07 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

> and in my experience the thing that's most likely to work is DVD
> playback because the data stream is (as I understand it) sent via a
> backdoor to the graphics chips bypassing most of the kernel and X.
On Linux and BSD at least it's the standard to bypass X when talking to the GPU.
You can talk to the GPU from different threads (with a little overhead) but you actually gain nothing, because of how the drivers work. There may be some way to get better performance if you are talking to multiple GPUs and you can do a better job than the vendors driver to utilize them (highly unlikely).
There are reasons to talk to the GPU from different threads but that's only usefull for loading resources while not interupting the main rendering thread, there is no speed gain.

R.