[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 19:19:28 CET 2014

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

>> In addition, there are standards for e.g. flashing indicators in
>> safety-critical applications which are specified with much finer
>> resolution than 100 mSec.
>>
>> So a 10Hz update is totally out of the question these days: 100Hz
>> would be more realistic.
>
> I would be very interested to see experiments proving that this will
> make an actual difference in human operator efficiency.

I'm afraid that further experimentation isn't relevant: if you want to
sell into e.g. drilling platform safety systems then you /have/ to
adhere to the specifications that they mandate, and checking earlier
with a colleague confirmed that the timings required weren't close to
multiples of 100 mSec (please excuse me if I don't go back asking him
for more detail, I don't want to tie him of for three days' research :-)

Obviously, this was one of the strong points of the cell-oriented PC
screen: once CPUs were running at 10s of MHz you could get them to flash
etc. in a predictable way.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk