[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Feb 6 10:57:42 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:44:59PM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Particularly on systems with some sort of "interconnect" between
> processor units, it's entirely possible to find the threads associated
> with a single program spread over a comparatively large physical volume,
> with each thread able to talk efficiently to "nearby" peripherals.

On an 7 year old athlon X2 I can stream 5 Gigabit cameras at about 50MB/s
each. CPU will show 0% utilization.

The offloading of the intel pro cards delivers it directly into memory,
without measurable contention.

Of current systems (stock desktops, nothing NUMA) memory <-> cpu bandwidths
are measured in tens of GByte/s.  Even for that Athlon X2 it was in the
single GByte/s.

The question is more how you are going to display that stuff swiftly. GDI?
Forget it.  OpenGL gives up at about 40-60 MByte/s on a discrete model, and
half on integrated video. (HD4000)

One can try to create a GUI for this already remote scenario (independent
processes display to independent sections of the screen), but if the
systems below can't handle it, what's the point?