[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Feb 6 15:23:43 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 10:21:12AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> > One can try to create a GUI for this already remote scenario (independent
> > processes display to independent sections of the screen), but if the
> > systems below can't handle it, what's the point?
>
> I agree, with the caveat that an improved X or improved OpenGL on a
> suitable architecture could possibly boost performance significantly
> without losing API compatibility.

Note that the numbers I cited are already for a framework that is geared
toward this application. In fact, displaying the image eats the bulk of the
cpu time  of the machine.

Even if the backend improves, all things must line up to make it possible to
exploit that, which is hard with a general framework. Specially since the
backends also have limitations wrt threads (like e.g. Opengl).

To present a general threadsafe model to the user, that would require
general locking solution in the LCL, which would slow down normal use for
fringe scenarios (if possible at all)