[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 13:17:35 CET 2014

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Compiler_Options#Change_the_output_directory_of_project_and_all_packages

Nice :-)

I don't understand the "IDE directories" in "Paths":

The IDE has one set of search paths for every directory. That means a
package can have different search paths than the active project.
<<
Here "directory" is not clear, sounds like a recursive definition?

Eventually the more detailed description (second last item in the list)
should be moved in front of above item, or replace it?

I suspect a problem with the ambiguous definition/usage of "path". It is
used both for a single directory ("relative path"), or for a list of
directories ("search path"). The same for "paths", which can denote
either the elements in an search path, or multiple search paths. I know
that this confusion is common practice, but it makes just the "Paths"
topic very hard to understand. Perhaps "directory" is used here to
denote an *element* of an search path, as an disambiguation attempt, but
this should be mentioned before its first use. Else "directory" will be
associated with an folder on a disk, what here obviously is not the
intended interpretation.

DoDi