[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 10 17:54:02 CET 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> hat am 10. Februar 2014 um 16:57
>> geschrieben:
>>

>> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>
>>> If someone uses such a package, he can choose 'no override'. That's what I
>>> meant
>>> with 'keep it optional'.
>>
>> Such packages (closed source) etc. obviously cannot be used with various
>> compiler
>> versions anyway.
>
> Yes, it can. The package can use $FPCVer in its output directory.

I understand that, and had thought of it.
But I consider this not very useful or even remotely likely:

The purpose of me changing the version of FPC is testing some change in a branch.
So, when compiling such a - hypothetical - closed source package, this will almost
definitely cause an error from the compiler, telling me that I need to recompile
the units in it.

And as Sven points out: for trunk it will be really hard to find such a package to
begin with.

Michael.