[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Feb 10 14:04:12 CET 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:57:08 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>[...]
> I never (actively) use IDE macros. Probably they get used in the background.
>[...]
> Ah, in this completely un-understandable dialog. I am avoiding it like the plague :(
>
> A GUI is meant to make things simpler, not complicate them, this dialog is IMHO a
> prime example of a violation of that principle. (somewhat like the MS Access visual query builder)

I don't know the MS Access visual query builder.

You want different settings for different compiler versions.
The current GUI allows this with a few clicks and a macro.
You dislike/avoid build modes, sessions, macros and custom packages,
so you dislike 90% of this page. I wonder if it is the GUI you dislike
or the features you don't need.

> Since the presence of different compiler versions is a given for the lazarus ecosystem,
> you might consider changing the defaults to what you propose in the example.

Many users do not switch often between different compiler versions.
Some packages do not support overriding the output directory.
Others have asked to add the buildmode by default.
I guess this should be kept optional.

Of course we can add menu items for frequently asked overrides.

Another possibility is to add a wizard to quickly setup some common
options. Similar to the initial setup dialog.

Mattias