[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 10 14:38:29 CET 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:57:08 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I never (actively) use IDE macros. Probably they get used in the background.
>> [...]
>> Ah, in this completely un-understandable dialog. I am avoiding it like the plague :(
>>
>> A GUI is meant to make things simpler, not complicate them, this dialog is IMHO a
>> prime example of a violation of that principle. (somewhat like the MS Access visual query builder)
>
> I don't know the MS Access visual query builder.

I meant it just as an example where the visual layer is actually worse than
the original text-based interface: it is easier to type SQL than use the visual
dialog in MS-access.

> You want different settings for different compiler versions.
> The current GUI allows this with a few clicks and a macro.

If you understand it, yes...

> You dislike/avoid build modes, sessions, macros and custom packages,
> so you dislike 90% of this page. I wonder if it is the GUI you dislike
> or the features you don't need.

Hm. Let's analyse this paragraph:
1. Build modes are IMHO indeed a misguided concept.
2. I didn't say I dislike macros ? I simply don't use them in the IDE.
3. "custom packages", I simply don't know what you mean by that.
4. Not sure what you mean by 'sessions' either ?

So you got at least 1/4 statements correct :)

That said: It really is the GUI that presents me with problems:

I find makefiles with all the variables, rules and whatnot far easier to understand than this dialog.
(just like I find it easier to type SQL than use the visual query builder in MS-Access)

Unfortunately, it is difficult to mix makefiles with the lazarus packages.
(that is just meant as a constatation, not meant as critique)

>> Since the presence of different compiler versions is a given for the lazarus ecosystem,
>> you might consider changing the defaults to what you propose in the example.
>
> Many users do not switch often between different compiler versions.

I would think all Lazarus/FPC team members, as well as component creators
are in this situation. I may be wrong, of course.

> Some packages do not support overriding the output directory.

Huh ? These packages are not very well designed then.
A package should always be oblivious to the output dir.

If it is not, it should IMHO be discarded from the lazarus installation.

It also means that these packages must ALWAYS be recompiled.
That is strange, to say the least.

> Others have asked to add the buildmode by default.

Hm. I don't even understand this sentence :-(

> I guess this should be kept optional.
>
> Of course we can add menu items for frequently asked overrides.
>
> Another possibility is to add a wizard to quickly setup some common
> options. Similar to the initial setup dialog.

In view of the "Some packages do not support overriding the output directory."
you mentioned earlier, I somehow doubt this is a workable idea ?

But hey, never mind, my mail was not meant as a complaint.

I got an answer to my original question.
That this answer does not please me, is my problem entirely :)

Michael.