[Lazarus] Is there a separate mailing list for Lazarus developers?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 12:00:12 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Lukasz Sokol <el.es.cr at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is another example of a mailing list where technical discussion, commit messages,
> bug reports and all kinds (trolls, phishing posts, spam) happens.
>
> it's LKML, fwiw. And yes, there is general one, and there are ones dedicated to arm, to vm,
> mm, subsystems, you want it you name it it probably is there. There is even kernelnewbies
> mailing list too. But they have an organization with full time admins hired to keep it readable.
>
> The difference is Laz/FPC vs Linux kernel is workflow AND manpower...

The workflow may not be fundamentally different but the size and
activity is different.
Linux kernel is huge and requires more admin work for sure.
Otherwise _this_ Lazarus list is similar with LKML.
Both are open for everybody.
Both have admins and can be moderated if really needed.
And ... neither of them is suitable for developers' personal communication.

> I can perfectly understand why Laz/FPC don't want to mix it all together, it is at the stage
> and in the world where you need a team of ml admins with knowledge to keep a ml from being
> spammed to death.
>
> FPC/Laz devs have enough work as is, so they need this 'fence' around their playground, even
> if it seems a bit rigid to us outside it.

Uhhh!
It may come as a shock for you but also kernel developers communicate privately.
You make it sound like it was something weird that only Lazarus
developers are "guilty" of.
No, some communication is private because it is not relevant or
interesting for anybody else.
Developers mailing list is a little less private because all
developers can see it. That's why I send there only messages which are
of interest for other developers.
If I have something that is of interest for also Lazarus users, I send it here.
It is as simple as that.
There is no conspiracy or scam behind your back.
So, it is not "a bit rigid", instead it makes things more flexible.

You and Frank Church miss the point completely. In your opinion
private communication is a bad thing.
You want to open the developers mailing list.
Then, do you want me to publish also private mails for other developers?
Then, do you want me to publish also other private mails for my
personal friends?
Where do you draw the line? Do you also want to know how often I go to
toilet and how I wipe my ass?

The question is about a person's right for privacy! Is this now better
understood or should I write more?

Juha