[Lazarus] Need testers for the a new debugger

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sun Jul 20 16:47:29 CEST 2014

> On 19/07/14 22:26, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> >  > > Do you get a message on the console like 'failed to write data at
> > xxxxxx'?
> >  >
> >  > Just tried it again - it doesn't seem to be consistent. The specific was
> >  > stepping into a routine, and the problem seems to happen when stepping
> >  > "into" at the first begin. Trying it just now the debugger step into in
> >  > these circumstances - it now exits the routine. There are lots of
> >  > "Failed to read data at address $10B70F08C08347F8 from processid 11321.
> >  > Errcode: 5
> >  > Failed to read data at address $E8000000C766D388 from processid 11321.
> >  > Errcode: 5
> >  > Failed to read data at address $E8000000C766D388 from processid 11321.
> >  > Errcode: 5
> >  > Failed to read data at address $E8000000C766D388 from processid 11321.
> >  > Errcode: 5
> >  > Failed to read data at address $E8000000C766D388 from processid 11321.
> >  > Errcode: 5
> >  > Failed to read data at address $E8000000C766D388 from processid 11321.
> >  > Errcode: 5"
> >
> > Can you run Lazarus in a debugger (gdb, but in principle fpdebug is also
> > possible ;) ) and set a breakpoint on fpdbglinuxclasses.pas:591. This is
> > the line where the error above is printed. Then please try to reproduce
> > the problem, and send me a backtrace when that breakpoint is hit.
>
> The behavior "failed to read" messages seem rather random. I think they
> may only arise when I have the "locals" window open, in which case
> presumably read failures are to be expected. A backtrace (below) doesn't
> look that useful. The "step into" failing on a begin failure seems
> consistent, though it certainly doesn't happen on every begin.

You are right, the backtrace looks normal. I suspected that the read was not being called from within the debug-thread. Although in that case the error-code normally is 3, not 5. But from the backtrace it is clear that this is not the case.

You are probably right that it is something unrelated, such as the watches-window.

But I can not reproduce your problem, with a rtl compiled with OPT=-gw2 I can step through as much as I want. I did fix some problems with resetting breakpoints and did apply your patch to find relative filenames. Can yu update and try again? Maybe I'm lucky...

Joost.