[Lazarus] question and suggestion

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Jun 20 22:28:13 CEST 2014

On 20/06/2014 20:31, FreeMan wrote:

> 20-06-2014 20:32 tarihinde, Sven Barth yazdı:
>> The user should not need to see
> maybe should not, but have to now :)
>
> 20-06-2014 20:38 tarihinde, Martin Frb yazdı:
>> then create little starter scripts, calling
>>    lazarus --pcp=foo
>>
>> See
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Installation_of_multiple_Lazarus
>>

>> Should work on linux too, but not sure, if it works, if you use
>> symlink to start....
>>
>> But that is, if each install has its own source folder.
>>
> yes Martin, this is my shortcut for kubuntu "/opt/lazarus/startlazarus
> --pcp=~/.lazarus-freeman"  this profile has 3rd party and my extra
> component added profile. I don't need much change this build. But I
> was thinking, for test make new profile and minimum file need, without
> 3rd parties etc. this is possible with --pcp, but when ı wanna turn or
> wanna use other profile I haveto build everything one more, so I asked
> if possible

Well *IF* I remember correctly (not sure):

1) If your lazarus install directory (with all the lazarus sources) is
NOT writeable to the user (e.g. /usr/local/lazarus owned by root and you
are NOT root) , then:
- all files (config, compiled ppu, compiled lazarus, ...) will be in pcp
- so you can call "startlazarus --pcp=xxx" and it will use the pcp, load
the custom build lazarus from the pcp ....

2) If your lazarus install directory is writeable to the user (e.g.
/home/user/laz_install ) , then:
- some files (ppu) go into that directory, and NOT into pcp.
then you need one install for EACH config

Otherwise you can have as many config, from just minimum, to all
packages you can find. They should not interfere with each other.

It does get a bit harder, if you want to mix and much fpc versions...