[Lazarus] How to program with time in milliseconds?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri May 16 08:28:05 CEST 2014

On 05/15/2014 07:34 PM, Junior wrote:
>  I need precision, I'll be working with many timers in milliseconds.
>
> (Windows 32 bits/64bits; Linux 32 bits/64bits; Android; MacOS; among
> others)

No normal (not dedicatedtly "realtime") OS provides "decent" millisecond
precision. The OS might stall any program at any time for seconds.

But a game is not supposed to be "hard realtime" but "very soft
realtime". Hence it should not matter if such glitches once and again.

I supposed, an enhanced version of  "EpicTimer" might be useful. Decent
arch/OS independent sub-millisecond timer support (e.g. using
QueryPerformanceCounter and  "clock_gettime" via vDSO) would be even nicer.

-Michael