[Lazarus] UTF8 RTL for Windows

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 25 10:10:10 CET 2014

On 11/24/2014 10:15 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> I'm missing documentation for working safely (and efficiently) with
> such irregular strings, most probably none of the FPC (and Delphi)
> developers ever noticed how users are left alone with this problem :-(

Hmm. In the fpc-devel, lazarus-devel, lists and in the German Lazarus
Forum I had been involved in lots of long winding threads on this issue.
So the developers do listen to the users !

Unfortunately the design of Delphi seems not to be really "nice". AFAIK
Details of  it's behavior changed between the first versions that
offered "NewStrings". This suggests that the design goal was not well
defined with the first issue and the facts that had been set with same,
unfortunately needed to be sticked to to avoid breaking user code (which
happened to my colleagues none the less).

Unfortunately fpc seems to need to follow whatever Delphi.

Michael (due to come back with a dedicated thread soon).

-Michael