[Lazarus] Lazarus trunk? Please recompile lhelp

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 11:22:45 CEST 2014

Details:
- Lhelp improvements
Lhelp is used to show (context-sensitive) help.

Recently, Juha kindly committed revision 46121 for me, fixing bugtracker
issue/feature 26614

* Making communication with lhelp more robust
* Updating communications protocol from version 1 to 2 (see
* Debug file support for lhelp diagnostic info, e.g. set environment
variable lhelp_debuglog to the path/filename of your desired log file
(note: needs patch/solution in bug 26537 first though)

- Result
Because the help communication protocol version has changed existing
lhelp applications reporting version 1 (or no version) should not (or
might not reliably) work with current Lazarus trunk.
The solution is to rebuild lhelp.

- Please report issues
Please report any regressions (i.e. problems that occur with the new
protocol but did *not* occur with the old protocol) and I'll have a look.

Note that there are some known existing problems with lhelp - see
bugtracker, including 26556: when starting lhelp, it flickers when
too ignorant of the IPro components...