[Lazarus] Fuzzy translations ignored

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sat Sep 6 00:28:04 CEST 2014

Il 05/09/2014 09:35, Reinier Olislagers ha scritto:
> On 04/09/2014 23:34, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>> But in that case it would be an advantage for developers (few) and a
>> disadvantage for users (many).
> No, it would be an advantage for the users because they don't get
> inferior quality or incorrect translations...
> Rather, it makes it painfully clear that the translator has not finished
> 100% of the translation.
A change from "Exit" to "Quit" (it happened) marks the translation
fuzzy, and this may go unnoticed by many translators. Is it a good
reason not to show the old translation?
I'm afraid that users unfamiliar with Latin alphabet (such as Chinese,
Russians, arabs, etc.) will hardly agree with your opinion.
> Apparently not showing fuzzy translations is the standard way in other
> open source projects. I remember a bug report that probably kicked off
> the change referring to that (but don't know the mantis number).
msgfmt provides the flag -f to accommodate the need to show fuzzy
translations.
> Regardless of the setting, fuzzy strings will have to be dealt with and
> (as both a developer and translator) I'm happy that Laz now aligns with
> general practice.
On this point I fully agree with you. It would be nice if the steps
before any release did include a quick check to the po files just to
verify the amount of fuzzy and untranslated strings, in order to alert
translators accordingly.
Pochecker might be improved to provide a more user friendly quick full
view of the status of all the translations in a folder, sort of what
KBabel provided in the past. I'll look into it.

Giuliano