[Lazarus] Fuzzy translations ignored

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 09:52:06 CEST 2014

On 06/09/2014 00:28, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> Il 05/09/2014 09:35, Reinier Olislagers ha scritto:
>> On 04/09/2014 23:34, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> A change from "Exit" to "Quit" (it happened) marks the translation
> fuzzy, and this may go unnoticed by many translators. Is it a good
> reason not to show the old translation?
> I'm afraid that users unfamiliar with Latin alphabet (such as Chinese,
> Russians, arabs, etc.) will hardly agree with your opinion.

Another good reason to use tools to check translations as you mention below.

>> Regardless of the setting, fuzzy strings will have to be dealt with and
>> (as both a developer and translator) I'm happy that Laz now aligns with
>> general practice.
> On this point I fully agree with you. It would be nice if the steps
> before any release did include a quick check to the po files just to
> verify the amount of fuzzy and untranslated strings, in order to alert
> translators accordingly.
Yes, good idea. So presumably the i18n pages on the wiki will need to be
updated??!?

> Pochecker might be improved to provide a more user friendly quick full
> view of the status of all the translations in a folder, sort of what
> KBabel provided in the past. I'll look into it.
Hmmm, I think Bart updated pochecker regarding fuzzy strings but can't
remember what he did.... and my memory may be incorrect anyway ;)

BTW, I have good experiences with virtaal; it shows all untranslated
items which includes fuzzy strings IIRC.