[Lazarus] learning advice for FPC/Lazarus noob

Mon Aug 3 16:53:03 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-03 15:15, Gour wrote:
> Btw, how does one author *.inf files today?

You author your help using plain text IPF file. Then compile that with a
utility called WIPFC (IPF Compiler) to generate a very compact binary
INF file. The WIPFC compiler and DocView are available from the fpGUI
project.

Some technical info:
INF is very compact and fast because the INF file itself contains a
dictionary of words, built from the help text, and each help topic
simply references the words from the dictionary. This also enables
full-text search support as standard.

I use a text editor called EditPad Pro (my favourite text editor), which
I improved the syntax highlighting and file navigation to make IPF file
authoring even easier. But any text editor will do. No special tools or
applications are required.

IPF, as explained by WikiPedia:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Presentation_Facility

> I also see that you’re the man behind fpGUI, but that’s for another
> thread how to chooes the ’right’ GUI for FPC. ;)

When you are ready, you are welcome to email me in private to ask more
questions.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/