[Lazarus] An online package manager

Tue Aug 11 00:58:10 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-10 20:22, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Unit dependencies are already specified in uses sections of the units
> themselves.

In the case of fpGUI I couldn't create a single fpgui_toolkit.lpk
package that fully supports fpGUI, because depending on the platform, it
has different unit paths, and in some of those paths there are units
with the same name (which acts as a bridge between the backend and
front-end). A similar thing for include files used in the implementation
section of some units. So due to the limitations of Lazarus Packages, I
had to create two sets of fpgui_toolkit.lpk packages - one in the "x11"
directory, and one in the "gdi" directory. A real pain in my side. If I
start supporting other backends, then the package count would increase
even more.

With fpmake, it has sufficient flexibility so I only need a single
fpmake.pp no matter the platform or graphics backend.

Incidently, due to the above mentioned limitations (and a few other
gripes), I'm moving more and more away from Lazarus Packages and rather
to a Macro based setup.

Unfortunately none of the IDE's I use currently support fpmake, so I
haven't used it much. But for console based compiling, it works very well.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/