[Lazarus] *SPAM* Re: Lazarus for mobile development?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 21 11:37:58 CEST 2015

Am 21.08.2015 09:51 schrieb "Michael Schnell" <mschnell at lumino.de>:

> On 08/20/2015 05:33 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>>

>> The old Windows Mobile was an OS geared towards PDAs/smartphones, while
the base system Windows CE is/was a general embedded OS.

> I do know this.
>
> But Microsoft keeps stating that "!there is only one Windows 10" and that
same is here to replace all older variants. Of course it's not always
recommended to trust them, but I would not do any development for "Windows
Phone" or "Windows CE" or whatever name they used for such variants that I
always felt to be moving targets. If "Windows 10 Mobile" and "Windows IOT
Core" are really different systems (and not only add some additional
Services for Pone API stuff or "embedded" stuff, this would be a major
argument not to use either of them. But if it's the same system, it would
not make a difference for fpc which one is the target.

It does make a difference because for Windows 10 Mobile you can only run
Apps (e.g. bought/got in the Windows Store) meaning Universal Apps while in
Windows Core IOT you can - at least on x86 - run normal Win32 applications
as you said yourself based on your colleague's experience. While FPC
supports the latter it does currently not support the former (and Delphi
neither by the way) and it's not foreseeable when it would.

Regards,
Sven