[Lazarus] Release Candidate 1 of Lazarus 1.6

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Dec 8 17:22:04 CET 2015

On 12/08/2015 05:03 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 16:44:49 +0100
> Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> AFAIK, the existing Widget Type is selected in the IDE by setting it in
>> "Additions and Overrides" and/or by selecting an appropriate application
>> type when creating a new project.
>>
>> Of course I can't modify the IDE to support this.
> Of course you can, it is open source.
Yep.

But it might be a lot of work just finding out what to do and it might
be dangerous that something not obviously related  is  broken.

> You can either extend the nogui widgetset and send us the patch.
> Or you can start your own widgetset.
I need to start a new widget type (i.e. a new interface unit), as the
working mechanism is rather different from all existing widget types.

There is no arch or OS dependent code, it just does calls to the fpc RTL.
> Either by creating your own "LCL" package, e.g. "MSLCL" or by
> extending the LCL.

If it's possible to distribute it in a package, I don't object at all.
Right now I don't see how a package would be able to have the IDA allow
for selecting a new application type and/or to allow for selecting a
widget type in "Additions and Overrides", but if there is a
documentation on how to create such a package this could be a good way.

> Depends on how you want to maintain/promote it.
I don't have a preference on that.

In the end, I want to allow users to be able to create a "General
Service Application" in the IDE when starting a project and to modify
the widget type of an existing project to be a "General Service
Application".

Moreover I would like to allow others to help improving the code by
providing patches to be included in some svn. (But I can't manage an svn
- I already failed several times trying.)

-Michael