[Lazarus] Release Candidate 1 of Lazarus 1.6

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Dec 8 17:59:37 CET 2015

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 17:22:04 +0100
Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

>[...]
> But it might be a lot of work just finding out what to do and it might
> be dangerous that something not obviously related  is  broken.

Send patches and people can help.

> > You can either extend the nogui widgetset and send us the patch.
> > Or you can start your own widgetset.
> I need to start a new widget type (i.e. a new interface unit), as the
> working mechanism is rather different from all existing widget types.

For example?

> There is no arch or OS dependent code, it just does calls to the fpc RTL.
> > Either by creating your own "LCL" package, e.g. "MSLCL" or by
> > extending the LCL.
>
> If it's possible to distribute it in a package, I don't object at all.
> Right now I don't see how a package would be able to have the IDA allow
> for selecting a new application type and/or to allow for selecting a
> widget type in "Additions and Overrides", but if there is a
> documentation on how to create such a package this could be a good way.

A new application type requires a design time package.
The widgetype list comes from the simple list, but a user can set any
value. If you extend the LCL it will be more comfortable for the user.

> > Depends on how you want to maintain/promote it.
> I don't have a preference on that.
>
> In the end, I want to allow users to be able to create a "General
> Service Application" in the IDE when starting a project and to modify
> the widget type of an existing project to be a "General Service
> Application".

What's the difference between a "General Service Application" and a "Service
Application"?

Mattias