[Lazarus] Release Candidate 1 of Lazarus 1.6

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Dec 9 11:08:48 CET 2015

On 12/08/2015 05:59 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> For example?

TTimer is implemented using the timeout in checksynchronize().

Application QueuAsyncCall is implemented using TThread.Queue.

> A new application type requires a design time package.

That means after installing the package, the application type is
selectable from the list of possible application types ? Choosing that
application type will set the appropriate defines for compiling the
sources ? Correct ?

Where can I find documentation on this  ?

> The widgetype list comes from the simple list, but a user can set any
> value. If you extend the LCL it will be more comfortable for the user.

Of course I would like that finally the most comfortable option is
offered to a potential user.

> What's the difference between a "General Service Application" and a
> "Service Application"?

I chose the name "General Service Application" rather than the former
suggested name "active NoGui", as I think that is more understandable
for users that might need it.

It is "General"  because the code is independent of CPU arch and OS. So
it (hopefully) will run on Windows, any Linux, and the new Windows IOT.
(I don't have MAC, OS2, BSD, Android ect, but if fpc application run it
should work)  (AFAIK, fpc does not yet provide support for Win IOT on ARM)

It is "Service" because it does not attach to any GUI library. So it
will run on a headless Linux and on Win IOT (which in fact is a headless
Windows 10).

it is "Application" because it (hopefully) supports the Event
programming paradigm, including a dedicated mainthread, TTimer,
TThread.Synchronize, TThread.Queue, Application.ProcessMessages,
Application.QueueAsyncCall, SendMessage from a worker thread to the main
threads to be received via "procedure .... message" etc, working in the
same way as a Windows or Linux-GUI application, without the user needing
to bother about the infrastructure that manages the event queuing.

-Michael