[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.6 and QuestionDLG

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sun Dec 20 17:51:21 CET 2015

Am 2015-12-20 um 13:41 schrieb Ondrej Pokorny:
 > It's a feature from trunk added by me on Dec 13th 2015 and it is documented in trunk (although with some delay).
 > I also merged it to 1.6 branch on Dec 14th 2015. Don't get me wrong - I don't want to be offensive but I expect
 > everybody asking for bug fixes to check the trunk/fixes_1_6 SVN changes. You cannot see the implementation details otherwise.

I did not even know that 'iscancel' is a bug fix.
I thought it existed in version 1.4 too.

 > You have to understand that new features in trunk are being developed and so they can change.

How do I know what are new features?
I just upgraded from Lazarus 1.4 to Lazarus 1.6 RC1
not knowing that the latter is just a development version.
I never use(d) trunk versions.

 > Writing a documentation for features in development is not very reasonable.

Realy?
I thought that it is very important to document the *intended*
behaviour somewhere before (or at least while) coding it
so that everybody knows how things *should* work and
can distinguish bugs from features.
Without documentation every bug becomes an intended behaviour.

 > Always look for documentation in trunk or the fixes branch.

Where do I find it?
I use official (pre) releases only.

 > It is told to be updated with new stable versions so now it should reflect 1.4.
 > Of course you don't find the latest features there.

Okay, so the main reason for my problems is that I did not wait until the
official release of Lazarus 1.6. I thought that RC1 should already be stable
and wanted to help with testing (expecting only minor bugs only).
But it seems that was not a good idea.

 > As latest, you have the source code, so you can check it as well - that usually is better than any documentation.

You cannot mean this seriously, do you?
You mean I should wade through *all* the
lines of code and understand each and every
line to discover new features and how they work?
Otherwise I would not have known that 'iscancel' was added recently.
There could be changes in many other functions too.

What if there is a bug?
When looking at the code I would consider this bug
to be an intended behaviour and rely on it (until it
gets fixed and bytes me back).

Not a good advice IMO.