[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.6 and QuestionDLG

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Sun Dec 20 18:13:28 CET 2015

On 20.12.2015 17:51, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> > Writing a documentation for features in development is not very
> reasonable.
>
> Realy?
> I thought that it is very important to document the *intended*
> behaviour somewhere before (or at least while) coding it
> so that everybody knows how things *should* work and
> can distinguish bugs from features.
> Without documentation every bug becomes an intended behaviour.

Yes, that's true. But you have to understand that a scope of some days
between bug fixing and documenting should be tolerable.

On 20.12.2015 17:51, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> > Always look for documentation in trunk or the fixes branch.
>
> Where do I find it?
> I use official (pre) releases only.

You find the documentation if you keep your mouse on the identifier in
the source code in the official (pre) releases.
http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/lcl/dialogs/questiondlg.html is
generated from the same source.

On 20.12.2015 17:51, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> > It is told to be updated with new stable versions so now it should
> reflect 1.4.
> > Of course you don't find the latest features there.
>
> Okay, so the main reason for my problems is that I did not wait until the
> official release of Lazarus 1.6. I thought that RC1 should already be
> stable

RCs are not stable :(

> and wanted to help with testing (expecting only minor bugs only).
> But it seems that was not a good idea.

On the contrary! It was a great idea and you pointed us/me to the fact
that there is information missing. Please test RCs in the future as
well. Thanks to you, it will be fixed for the 1.6 stable.

On 20.12.2015 17:51, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> > As latest, you have the source code, so you can check it as well -
> that usually is better than any documentation.
>
> You cannot mean this seriously, do you?
> You mean I should wade through *all* the
> lines of code and understand each and every
> line to discover new features and how they work?

Yes, I mean this seriously. You don't have to go through all the code,
just the code that doesn't work as you expect. I do the same - if there
is something I don't understand or it behaves differently from the docs,
I look into the code and check why.

Ondrej