[Lazarus] Embedded/small database

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Feb 17 20:50:23 CET 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:

> Sqlite can be very fast, but it needs the proper setup for that (which may not be
> relevant in all cases).
>
> Beyond that, Sqlite has a lot of high profile users (not to make a piss match, but i
> couldn't see any big users in Firebird's site and even those didn't seem to mention if
> it was embedded or client/server):
>
> https://www.sqlite.org/famous.html
>
> There are other less known uses of course, like the Fossil VCS and AFAIK Apple also
> uses it for the time capsule and FS versioning.
>
> Honestly, i wouldn't put down Sqlite :-).

I would.
Any database that allows you to store a string in a field that is declared as
integer (as sqlite does), is out. It goes against the basic rules of the RDBMs: ACID. Period.

If you ever encounter such a situation, the whole pascal db code simply goes 'poof'.
If the table definition says 'integer', it should be an integer.
if sqlite does not guarantee this (and it does not, it considers this a feature),
it is out.

I don't even understand that any pascal programmer (pascal being stronly typed)
can consider such a system. But there are many things I don't understand :)

Michael.