[Lazarus] Embedded/small database

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 19:14:31 CET 2015

Sqlite can be very fast, but it needs the proper setup for that (which may
not be relevant in all cases).

Beyond that, Sqlite has a lot of high profile users (not to make a piss
match, but i couldn't see any big users in Firebird's site and even those
didn't seem to mention if it was embedded or client/server):

https://www.sqlite.org/famous.html

There are other less known uses of course, like the Fossil VCS and AFAIK
Apple also uses it for the time capsule and FS versioning.

Honestly, i wouldn't put down Sqlite :-).

However you need to make sure that Sqlite is what you are looking for.
After all in their site they say that  "SQLite is not designed to compete
with Oracle. SQLite is designed to compete with fopen()." (or AssignFile in
Lazarus' case :-P).

To put it differently, if i wanted to make an application to associate tags
and colors with images (for fast theme lookup), i'd use Sqlite. If i wanted
to make a bookstore chain application, i'd probably use PostgreSQL.

I wouldn't use Sqlite for configuration since this is what INIs are for :-P