[Lazarus] File sync system approach

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 11:36:31 CEST 2015

aradeonas wrote:
> [Cross posted on forum  so if you want answer there :
> http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,29007.0.html]
>
> Hi,
>
> For one of my projects I want to send and receive files between server
> and client and for years I saw demos in Indy,Synapse ... but I wonder if
> any one done it in real world and have experience or suggestion that
> want to share with so prevent me to go wrong or reinvent wheel or engine
> if they are out.
>
> I want to know what is the best approach for making a sync system,what
> is the powerfullest library and live library,tips to know about security
> or even file changes recognition and upload just changed part like
> DropBox.
> I don't want all,just if you can help me in some part please do.

I think that some of this depends on whether you're talking about text
or binary files, whether the sharing structure is like a tree or like an
arbitrary graph, and the anticipated level of traffic.

One possibility would be to put files into Subversion and either invoke
svn or use libsvn (I think somebody was working on a wrapper for this).
Another would be to put them into a database (I use this for
application-level scripts). Don't use something like a discussion group
server, since there could be unexpected indexing problems.

Another possibility would be to look at what a multiuser-aware program
like Inkscape uses.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk