[Lazarus] Release model for Lazarus

Maxim Ganetsky ganmax at narod.ru
Sun Jul 12 22:53:12 CEST 2015

12.07.2015 21:54, Péter Gábor пишет:

>> On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 20:05:36 +0200
>> Péter Gábor <ptrg at freemail.hu> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> So where can we know that we can upload the translations without missing
>>> future changes?
>>>
>>> A true release model with strict phases (including "frozen source
>>> strings" at last, maybe two weeks) would be very useful.
>>
>> The 'fixes' branch only contains bug fixes. So almost all
>> changes to resourcestrings are either fixing typos of the English
>> version or add new error messages.
>
> Here I was talking about any/all releases not only the current bugfix
> release.
>
>> Waiting a week means translators and maintainers must work with an
>> additional branch.
>
> If the bug-tracker's roadmap shows scheduled releases with date in the
> (far) past and with open/pending issues then nobody can seriously think
> that everything is ready and you are just waiting for translators and
> maintainers to finish their job... and nobody can know the time when the
> "waiting a week" was started, especially if unsolved issues are listed
> in the roadmap.

The answer is simple: we don't use Mantis roadmap in development
activities because we find it inconvenient. See Martin's answer for the
reasons.

If you find that there is added/changed string in FIXES branch and you
have update for this translation, you are welcome to send it ASAP.

OTOH, if you only improve translation and there were no changed/added
resource strings then it indeed makes no sense to send an update after
every changed sentence, better will be to see an update every week or
after a significant logically related amount of changes.

Keep in mind that as I said before, Lazarus fixes branch translations
don't change much at all and I don't consider this issue to be very
significant.

That being said, maybe it indeed won't harm to announce minor Lazarus
updates for translators to let them catch up.

--
Best regards,
 Maxim Ganetsky                  mailto:ganmax at narod.ru