[Lazarus] *SPAM* Re: Win 10 IOT Core

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 19 14:07:29 CEST 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 01:33 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> We can at least conclude that there is a lot of confusion about what it is
>> and what it is not;
>>
>> But seeing that it is Microsoft, this does not come as a surprise...
>> There are more vendors at work than actual programmers in that company.
>>
> M$ claim that "in future there only will one Windows: Windows 10". I gather
> that this should mean that there is  a common API specification (but
> obviously "smaller" versions provide just parts of same, but no different
> specs for the same stuff, any more).
>
> Hence to me it does make perfect sense, that (free) Windows 10 IOT runs
> service applications normally (via the "basic no-GUI" WinAPI) but does not
> have the "GDI winapi", and hence is no competitor too the (paid) Desktop
> Windows 10 versions.

Technically speaking, I read once that the user32.dll and advapi32.dll
may not be used directly in a Windows Runtime application.
Since the service manager calls are in the latter, I assumed
that a service application cannot work.

Probably the information I read was inaccurate or it has changed meanwhile.

> As a result I still think that a "DirectX" version of fpGUI or CustomDrawn
> that runs on IOT should be doable.

How do you know that DirectX is part of IOT ?

Michael.