[Lazarus] Lazarus implementation of TListView etc?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:13:55 CEST 2015

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:32:30 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

>That still doesn't explain why the original Delphi code required a
>TListView instance. TListView is purely a GUI component - so I'm very
>puzzled.
>
>If you needed a list of objects, and maybe an associated text string or
>something, then use TObjectList instead. I honestly don't see why
>TListView is need in any Console application.

Is it so hard to understand that the class units were developed (a
long time ago) in Delphi7 with a target of a GUI program? Tens of
thousands of lines of code...
So it had helpers to show the recorded data in listviews and other
such GUI related stuff (like handling progressbars etc).
All of which does exactly nothing unless they have such components
assigned to them.

In this case I do not want to re-invent all of the communications and
data parsing code that is the main part of these units and which I
need to use in the lean and mean communications program I have to
build. So I do not want to rip the units apart and rewrite them if I
can avoid it. This is the only reason.
And I did get a working way to handle this by including LCL. No more
compile errors caused by these classes.

And my post at a late time in this thread was just to clarify this
situation, not to ask any more questions so there was no need for more
commenting.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden