[Lazarus] German umlauts in component names

Martin Grajcar maaartinus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 03:08:08 CEST 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Ondrej Pokorny <lazarus at kluug.net> wrote:

> On 04.04.2016 12:05, Special wrote:
>
>> BTW too: Some English words became part of german, like 'Computer' und
>> 'Button'. We don't say "Elektronische Rechenmaschine" any longer, and more
>> and more german book authors say "Button" instead of the strange
>> "Schaltfläche". Yes, I confess, I used "Schaltfläche" too in some of my
>> early books three decades ago, but now I don't.
>>

> I see a good progress here. The first step was using "Computer" instead of
> "Elektronische Rechenmaschine", the second step was using "Button" instead
> of "Schaltfläche". The next logical step is to teach pupils from the very
> beginning that the programmer's language is English.
>
> English is part of the compulsory education from very early classes,
> AFAIK. They definitely can understand the very limited vocabulary needed to
> write programs. The word "Close" is used in event names, after all. So I
> really don't see a gain using "SchließenButton" instead of "CloseButton".

Agreed. For everything related to programming, using Non-English words is a
non-sense as you can only lose. How could "SchließenButton" make anything
better, when you can't invoke "Fenster.Schließen" anyway?

The only case when national identifiers make sense is when they come from a
business domain. Translation of e.g. financial business terms is not
exactly something a programmer should do, so either the customer supplies
English terms or I leave them as they are.

Except for removing diacritics. This is fortunately easy for the languages
I use. I wonder what I'd do if I used a language not based on a Latin
alphabet. Then I might end up with a 賣Button.

Regards, Martin.