[Lazarus] Lazarus Digest, Vol 99, Issue 32

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sat Apr 9 12:20:47 CEST 2016

Il 08/04/2016 21:13, Juha Manninen ha scritto:
> Welcome to open source.
> Instead of complaining here and wasting everybody's time, you could
> have improved the documentation yourself and provide a patch.

In principle you're right. However you should take into account some
other factors.

Frequently users do complain when a problem arises which they are unable
to solve by themselves.

Asking them to provide a patch doesn't help too much.

On the other hand there is something that could be done to improve the
situation, and to encourage contributors to help improving the
documentation.

There's a number of core developers, which set the rules of the game, by
evaluating contributions, supervising them and accepting or rejecting
depending on their view of what the product should look like.

It wouldn't be unthinkable that a contribution be evaluated also in
terms of documentation. Appropriate comments in the source code make
almost easy to generate a good documentation.

An answer such as: "Your patch is good, it adds a desirable
functionality, but without proper documentation, nobody will be able to
take advantage of it. Please add some concise comments on variable and
procedure usage, and we will be glad to commit it." would do a lot of
good, IMHO.

Should this become a general rule, the situation might strongly improve
with time.

Just my 2 cents.

Giuliano