[Lazarus] Lazarus Digest, Vol 99, Issue 32

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 14:03:14 CEST 2016

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Giuliano Colla
<giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> An answer such as: "Your patch is good, it adds a desirable functionality,
> but without proper documentation, nobody will be able to take advantage of
> it. Please add some concise comments on variable and procedure usage, and we
> will be glad to commit it." would do a lot of good, IMHO.
>
> Should this become a general rule, the situation might strongly improve with
> time.

Giuliano, you have contributed code yourself. I did not expect such
nonsense from you.
Your own code was equally good with other Lazarus code. It had about
the same amount of comments which was fine.
Rejecting patches because they don't have enough comments would have
only negative effects.
Well written code does not need much comments.
"Comments are like a deodorant masking the smell of fishy code that
could be improved."
as sourcemaking.com so well describes:
  https://sourcemaking.com/refactoring/smells/comments

So, your suggestion would only reduce contributions without any
benefit. Typically such ideas come from people who only want to bash
the developers. "Do this and that and then contributions start to
flood in." For some reason those people have no intention to
contribute anything themselves...

Poorly written patches are already rejected and their authors are
guided how to improve them. Things are in order in that front. Most
patches now get accepted or rejected reasonably quickly.
Why all this valuable work from me and from other developers is ignored?

Juha