[Lazarus] 1 keypress gives multiple letters ONLY in program written in Lazarus in raspbian jessie Pi 2

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Mon Apr 11 01:19:42 CEST 2016

Il 10/04/2016 21:16, Michael Thompson ha scritto:
> Giuliano: Do you know if any of the steps listed here would have
> helped?  If not, can you let me know how you disabled the Input
> Manager, and I'll update the wiki accordinly.

I have only hearsay knowledge, from this list complaints, and from some
search on Internet I made because of that.
I'm not using Ubuntu or any other Debian/Ubuntu derived distro, and I do
not have a direct experience.
I'm using the Red Hat distros line (RHEL, Fedora and CentOs) and I did
never stumble into a similar problem.
Therefore take what I say with appropriate caution (and most of all do
not use it in tribunal .)

However the problem appears to arise from the Keyboard Input Methods
being enabled by default, even when no actual Input Method is assigned.
 From what I gathered, this problem popped up as with Ubuntu 11, and
should be related to Gnome Desktop.
Previous versions were immune, but I can't tell if it was because ibus
service wasn't used, or because Keyboard Input Methods were not enabled.

However the full picture is the following:

Input Methods are those methods which allow to accommodate languages
with ideographic symbols which cannot possibly fit in a normal sized
keyboard, such as Chinese.

Those user need also to enter Latin alphabet characters for system
commands, therefore a keyboard shortcut is required to toggle on and off
the Input Method.

The standard shortcut to toggle Input Method is ctrl-space, which
happens also to be the standard code completion shortcut of Lazarus.
This alone can be a cause of troubles.
Moreover, if the Input Methods are enabled, but no actual Input method
is defined, toggling may lead to weird results, such as characters being
entered twice, characters being lost etc.

The steps to overcome the problem are:

1) If Input Methods are required (e.g. a Chinese user), one of the two
shortcuts must be changed.

2) If no Input Methods are required, they should be disabled. No general
rule can be given on how to do that, because each Desktop environment
does it its way. Gnome provides in System Settings an "Input Method"
entry. KDE provides an Icon in the systray, but only if a specific Input
Method package has been installed, otherwise the Input Methods are disabled.

3) If no Input Methods are required and the user is unable to disable
the Input Methods, one can simply stop the ibus service, whose only
purpose appears to be that of supporting the Input Methds. Again, how to
do that is strongly system dependent.

I can't say if the steps indicated in the Wiki page are useful in
general. From what I read GTK_IM_MODULE=gtk-im-context-simple
should be a better choice than gtk-im-context-xim which enables the old
XIM (X Input Method) framework.
But it would require some testing in Ubuntu or Ubuntu siblings, and with
different locale.

That's all I can tell.

Giuliano