[Lazarus] Trouble [re-]installing fpc from SourceForge (and other sources)

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Sat Dec 3 02:00:56 CET 2016

I have been trying to upgrade to lazarus 1.6.2 on *Linux Mint Sarah*
with no success.  After days of failure, I decided to revert to 1.6.0
using the .deb files from SourceForge.  Then using Synaptic for 1.6.0.
Lastly using apt-get from the command line. In all cases, the
installation of *fpc *fails.
It used to work till I started this upgrade.

All attempts to get fpc working fail, essentially the same way:

┌[ 2001  2.3.0 19:30:33 ~ ]
└> fpc
The program 'fpc' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install fp-compiler-3.0.0
┌[ 1994  2.3.0 19:30:35 ~ ]
└> sudo apt install fp-compiler-3.0.0
[sudo] password for donz:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
fp-compiler-3.0.0 is already the newest version (3.0.0+dfsg-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 37 not upgraded.
┌[ 1993  2.3.0 19:30:59 ~ ]
└> fpc
The program 'fpc' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install fp-compiler-3.0.0
┌[ 1993  2.3.0 19:31:08 ~ ]
└>

Repeating the apt install gives the same result.

I tried:

┌[ 1998  2.3.0 19:54:00 ~ ]
└> fp-compiler-3.0.0
fp-compiler-3.0.0: command not found
┌[ 1998  2.3.0 19:54:24 ~ ]

Also:

┌[ 1998  2.3.0 19:54:24 ~ ]
└> sudo apt install fpc
[sudo] password for donz:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
fpc is already the newest version (3.0.0+dfsg-2).
fpc set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 37 not upgraded.

When I start lazarus, it complains that it can't find the compiler:
/usr/bin/fpc
It recommends that I try /usr/bin/ppcx64

/usr/bin/ppcx64 is a link to a non-existent file.

I tried everything I can think of for the compiler with the same results.

Help, please!

Don Ziesig