[Lazarus] Errors reading non-English characters

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Dec 23 00:59:39 CET 2016

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 18:32:49 -0500
"David M. Lawrence via Lazarus" <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>[...]
> I have been trying to update that model, however, and it does not read
> non-English characters such as the accented "e" in "Abéché" correctly.
>
> In the older code, the program could read such strings from a text file
> fine, but when I try to compile an updated version of the program, the
> updated version reads the site name from a file such as the one below
> and translates "Abéché" into "Ab?ch?".
>[...]

FPC 3.0.0 introduced string encoding and automatic conversions.

Lazarus and the LCL uses UTF-8 encoded strings. If your file is not
UTF-8, but some Windows codepage, that might create such an effect.
Probably you need to insert a conversion somewhere.

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus

Mattias