[Lazarus] non Unicodode application

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 12 16:41:23 CET 2016

On 02/12/2016 03:54 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Sure there is hope. See the new UTF-8 support:
>    http://wiki.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus

This page says:

"This page covers Unicode support in Lazarus programs (console or
server, no GUI) and applications (GUI with LCL) using features of FPC
3.0+. "
"RTL with default codepage UTF-8"

That would mean that the type "String" is 8 Bit  ?

That would mean that 8 bit Strings are used in TStrings and hence in
TStringList ?

That would mean that (e.g.) storing 8 bit "String"s in a TStringList
would not do any conversion at all ?

And it would mean that pos() and friends work on 8 bit Strings (and wist
simple byte-positions and length)   ?

If string constants and strings coming from and going to the GUI are
implicitly converted, I suppose this is manageable.

Is all this is here to stay, I think my friend could use Lazarus and fpc
for his task.

-Michael