[Lazarus] Lazarus compile project via ssh?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 13:49:27 CET 2016

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 09:41:37 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> As previously discussed, VNC is broken in many areas and it's unclear
>> how much this is fixable since newer versions aren't open source:
>> there's been no significant work done on it for something like ten
>> years. If you want to run Lazarus remotely then tunnel it over SSH.
>
> Hi Mark,
> yes I have seen several times such suggestions and yet I have no idea
> how to accomplish such a tunneling....
> How could the Lazarus GUI appear in my Windows machine over SSH when
> Lazarus is running on a Raspberry Pi2? There must be some software
> running on the Windows box to accomplish that, right?

I believe there's a combination of XMing and Putty that will do this

http://www.straightrunning.com/xmingnotes/

However if you simply run XMing it will probably just give you a window
representing your entire Raspbian (etc.) desktop, which won't help C&P.
Also I don't know whether the Display Manager supplied with Raspbian
supports remote sessions, and I'd not suggest fiddling with it.

> I have tried to find various solutions such as an X client on Windows
> (or is it a server?)

Strictly, server since it provides graphical services to the actual
program. This is non-intuitive and most people will look uncomfortable
if you ask them to justify it :-)

> to display the desktop of RPi, but it seems like
> these are extremely difficult to install and are also not opensource.
> In any case after I installed one of the available X thingies on my
> Win7 PC I was totally unable to understand how to make it connect to
> the RPi, so I gave up and uninstalled it.

Well stop fscking around with Windows and use your Ubuntu machine as the
controlling desktop. As I've said, to the extent that my patience is
exhausted, the standard OpenSSH supplied with both Debian/Ubuntu and
Raspbian allows you to tunnel X, you'll probably need to change one
setting on your desktop system (in /etc/ssh/ssh_config):

Host *
#   ForwardAgent no
    ForwardX11 yes
#   ForwardX11Trusted yes

after which the SSH client (i.e. your desktop system) will tell the SSH
server (Raspbian) that it's prepared to tunnel X traffic, so if you use
a shell over SSH to start lazarus the GUI will appear on your desktop
system.

There's advantages and disadvantages to this that I've described more
than once, so I'm afraid that I'm not going to do so again.

Now for heavens sake man, if there's something about this that you don't
understand then /ask/ rather than just ignoring it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk