[Lazarus] Do we really need a PaintSwastika procedure?

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Fri Jan 8 08:43:20 CET 2016

On Do, 2016-01-07 at 22:20 +0200, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de> wrote:
> > Maybe this discussion can be closed when the names are mangled for
> > political correctness and/or there is a clear statement added in the
> > unit in question.
>
> What is wrong with the names? The symbol is called "swastika".
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

To me, nothing. I'm all against deleting or changing something because a
few persons feel funny about it, often they only misunderstood the
meaning.

What I'd tried with the mail you're replying to was to find a mild
compromise making everyone happy.

> > May it be in the documentation or some comments, so
> > people understand the generic nature of those drawing procedures.
>
> Why would people not understand the generic nature now?
> The procedures draw graphics without any political pamphlets or such.
> It is as generic as it can be.

People see something and are driven by feelings. I watched a case like
this already regarding FreeBSD. Some users insisted of changing the
deamon logo because they are afraif of the devil. Rather  ridiculous, it
actually was a cuddly toy or comic like figure, but in the end the logo
got changed. If they started thinking a short moment or actually go
inside a catholic church and look around they'd have seen much more
horrible pictures of devlish creatures all around.

Disgusting, if you ask me. To me freedom is much more important than
superstition.

> You actually want to turn this project into a political one. Why?
> Now you want a "politically correct" statement that we are contra some
> ideology. The next step is add a statement that we are for some other
> ideology.
> Why?

Again: No.

Please read carefully again some emails of mine and you'll see. I'm all
against a politically forced change and fought against it. But this if
life, and life demands compromise to live together happily.

Maybe you answered to the wrong email?

> What means "political correctness" exactly? Does it mean that one must
> repeat the bad things done by Nazis well over 70 years ago, at the
> same time ignoring other bad things and genocides done after it?
> If so, I don't want to be politically correct.

Exactly that is the reason for my idea to change nothing but explain
what we discussed here in short words in a comment for those guys
anxious about symbols they misinterpret.

> I don't know what is going on here but guys hey, wake up!
> It is year 2016 already.
> There are many explosive spots around the world. Many dangerous
> ideologies, groups and governments, but none of them are Nazis. Nazis
> are part of history. Maybe it is time to move to this century now.

Now you are taking the political banner an wave it around. ;)

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>