[Lazarus] Do we really need a PaintSwastika procedure?

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:54:14 CET 2016

Hello Matthias,

On 08/01/16 10:40, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 23:27:50 +0200
> Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Unfortunately popular symbols get negative associations sometimes. How
>> long it takes to get rid of them?
>
> As long as it takes to get rid of Neo-Nazis.

Writing as someone, who came from a place that was stuck long enough
between the 2 totalitarisms most vocally mentioned in this thread,

and had been taught about either of them, either from school or from books, or movies etc.
and from first-hand account of experience of either military presence,

( though I am too young to have seen them myself,
 my grandmother lived through evac from the nazi front of 1939; lived nearly 5 years in nazi-occupied country;
 and then was 'liberated' by the soviets some years later, however unscathed, there were things happening, one can't unsee/ignore;
 and then my parents lived in a country quasi-remote-controlled from the east, half their adult lives;
 (yeah, Poland; speaking for myself only here tho)),

(I only include the above so you know where I'm coming from),

I only wish to say 2 things, in my own opinion:

- history when mistaught or not taught at all, tends to repeat itself (as we see all over the place, in this century)
Eradicating knowledge about what their ideologies were actually about,
is a straight way to undo the efforts to get rid of them.

See how usage of the nazi symbols in most of countries is banned from public space, but allowed for educational purposes,
and that is IMO right.

- over-eagerness/zealotism is about /the/ only thing in the world worse than fascism.
That also applies to over-reaction to Political Correctness requests.

> How long does it take to find out that this thread is going off-topic?

It's long past. Now we exercise our Freedom of Speech rights ;J

> Mattias

Lukasz