[Lazarus] Building GUI program for RPi1 on RPi2?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jan 16 14:45:26 CET 2016

Bo Berglund wrote:
> I have a development system running on a Raspberry Pi2B with fpc 3.0.0
> and Lazarus 1.6RC2. It works just fine. :)
>
> Today I am faced with a problem regarding compatibility between RPi1
> and RPi2...
>
> I have this Delphi program I wrote some years ago which is used to
> show a text dialog on a TV for my mother-in-law. She is deaf and
> bed-bound and to communicate with her I wrote the program so it could
> display a huge text on an attached TV so she can read what one types
> in.
> Now the XP computer it was running on is dead and I have an old RPi1B
> with 256M RAM, which I could put in its place.
>
> I used Lazarus conversion tool to bring in the Delphi7 project to my
> Pi2B and it compiled and ran fine. Success here!
>
> So the question really is if I have to do something in the
> configuration of the project to create an executable which will run on
> the RPi1 hardware?
> The fpc compiler I have is built using the OPT=-dFPC_ARMHF flag.
>
> Will this cause executables compiled in Lazarus to only be working in
> an RPi2??

I've seen no binary compatibility issues yet.

The one thing I would say is that I put a lot of time late last year
into getting an RPi+Raspbian working with a large LCD TV as an
HDMI-connected monitor for a colleague with poor sight, and found that
support of higher resolutions etc. was vastly improved with the RPi2.
The one thing that didn't work properly was the protocol that simulated
a remote control, but I've not checked that recently.

So in my opinion using an older RPi is a false economy here.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk