[Lazarus] Target Survey

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Wed Jul 20 14:04:20 CEST 2016

El 20/07/2016 a las 13:22, Graeme Geldenhuys escribió:
> On 2016-07-20 11:45, Santiago A. wrote:
>> web is not the best GUI, (in fact, I hate it) but it's ubiquitous.
> +1
>
> Web interfaces tend to be slow too, but I have recently seen some pretty
> amazing "web applications".
The problem is no aesthetic but of design and productivity.

HTML was designed to display documents and close connection, thus it has
no concept of session, the session ends when you display the page and
close connection. Cookies came to keep some data from session to
session. Later came websockets etc. All are dirty patches to convert the
initial design as displayer into a GUI. You started with bicycle, you
added an engine, later four wheels, later a chassis, and now you have a car.

Xwindows is too low level, no widget.... VNC is no really a remote GUI
(the server admits just one connection), Microsoft remote desktop is a
good solution, but it's tied to windows. The monster ERP SAP has it's
own GUI <https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_GUI>, that is the way.

The world needs really bad a standard remote GUI protocol that can run
on any graphic/OS. There have been some tries: XUL, Fresco
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresco_%28windowing_system%29>, and
others I've never heard about.

--
Saludos